Subject: [Leica] Anyone know why the Leica M-A (the mechanical film burner) is out of stock everywhere
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 00:32:30 -0500

Leica?s website lists the M-A with no indication that it?s discontinued. The
B&H site gives the black and the silver models as back-ordered and as
available in 7-10 days, respectively. I guess none of this rules out the
possibility that Leica has killed it, though.

It?s interesting to me that the description of the M-A on Leica?s site
nowhere states that it?s a film camera, only referring to it as ?purely
mechanical? and, at the end, noting that since both the M system and Tri-X
film were introduced in 1954, and Tri-X is an iconic PJ film, a roll of TX
is included with each M-A.

It?s like the ?If you have to ask the price, you can?t afford it? trope. If
you have to ask whether the M-A is a film camera, you don?t deserve to be
told.

And if Leica wanted to make an un-metered film camera that would be a
throwback to the days of M-based photojournalism, one that would appeal to
well-heeled nostalgia buffs, why not give it all the classic styling cues of
the M3, like they did with an LHSA anniversary set a few years back,
complete with a retro-styled 50 ?Lux? My 1958 M3 DS practically radiates
street cred just sitting on my desk, and when I go out with it hanging from
my neck, I feel like I?m channeling Capa! (Excuse the snark, please.)

?howard