Subject: [Leica] R3 Rail Gang part 1
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 15:25:17 +0000

Interesting stuff. Seem very busy boys with complicated toys, Ric.
I presume they are replacing the rails with continuously welded ones
like we have here to give a smoother and higher speed journey? Hard to
make out but you also seem to have sleepers much closer together than we
have here in broad gauge land - Ireland had has 5' 3" (160cm) as opposed
to your narrower 4' 8 1/2". Also the dips and gradients over such a
short distance as shown in No. 13 wouldn't be seen here. Levelling out
would have been done at the initial stages when the very first tracks
were laid. Some explanatory notes to each process illustrated would be
great. Now that you're retired and have plenty of time :-)

Douglas
former member of the Irish Railway Record Society many moons ago