Subject: [Leica] Falkland Islands
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 20:32:18 +0530

The second and final bunch of photographs from the Falkland Islands,
featuring all the birds that were the supporting act, for me, at least, to
the charming Gentoo Penguins!

We start with the Blue-eyed or Imperial Shag:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191030-14029.jpg.html

Next we take the Upland Goose - the first three photographs are two males
locked in a vicious territorial battle that took over 10 minutes to run its
course - one even held the other's head under the water to try and drown it
(no picture of this because as a still it lacks drama!). The last is the
victor with his family.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191028-15945.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191028-15948.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191028-16084.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191028-16146.jpg.html

We go on, now to the elegant and beautiful Black-browed Albatross. This is
by far the most common albatross seen in these parts, and 80% of the
worldwide population breed in the Falklands. The two flight shots are
virtually full frame - I might have cropped 5% of the first one - taken as
they whizzed by just over my head to then descend to their nest in a mixed
colony with Rockhopper Penguins, in a gorge:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191030-14199.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191030-14200.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191030-16341.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191030-14249.jpg.html

Rockhopper Penguins are among the smallest penguins, and they actually hop
up steep cliffs to reach their breeding areas which are inevitably on top,
as they come back from foraging in the sea. Unfortunately, the best place
to see this behaviour, Saunders Island was in the grip of a violent squall
on the day we landed, so there was no activity at all.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191029-16257.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191030-14089.jpg.html

I finish with a couple of grebes/ducks:

White-tufted Grebe:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191028-13117.jpg.html

Crested Duck:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/SGF/Falklands/South+Georgia-20191028-13131.jpg.html

Please see LARGE.

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome!

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] Falkland Islands)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Falkland Islands)