Subject: [Leica] Sea Birds
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 08:11:59 +0530

Ric, Bernard, Jim N, Brian, Douglas B, Don D

Thanks for looking.

Most of these are shot from the lowest deck at the back, i.e. the zodiac
boarding area. The seas were high on our way to South Georgia, as we were
negotiating the tail end of a cyclonic storm. The first couple of days out
of Ushuaia, we were not even allowed on deck. Thankfully, I do not get
seasick very easily, it seems!

Stabilization is pointless in photographing birds from a pitching ship, as
the subjects are zipping around at speed, and in camera stabilization is
thoroughly useless against fast moving subjects. What is required is high
shutter speeds - at least 1/2000s - and stabilization switched off, because
having it on slows down the camera, as it has to stabilize every shot
before triggering the shutter. The other useful features are a high FPS and
a big buffer!

In my view, stabilization is useful only when photographing stationary
subjects in dodgy light. Otherwise, a high shutter speed solves all
problems - I do not mind shooting wide open to achieve it. As I always try
to capture animals/birds in action and doing something, I seldom use
stabilization for wildlife.

Cheers
Jayanand