Subject: [Leica] How many people have/will buy M10/M10M?
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 11:58:18 -0800

Richard Man wrote:
> I know a number of listers have moved on. That's fine. Just wondering who
> has purchased an M10 (I know Howard C did, may be John M?), and who might
> purchase one, and who might consider getting the M10M when that becomes
> available?

I bought an M10-P about a year ago. I also bought the electronic viewfinder.
No regrets on either.

The camera is pretty much everything that I?ve wanted a digital M to be.
High ISO capability is now close to Canikon. The viewfinder is a bit more
contrasty, the rangefinder a bit more distinct, and the eye relief a little
bit better. The ultra-quiet shutter is a joy, just incredible (note that the
standard M10 shutter ain't bad, either.) The M10-P?s touch screen allows me
to check focus with a quick double tap on the critical area? much faster
than messing with arrow keys.

The EVF makes concert shooting with a wide-open 90mm Summicron easy and
pleasant. The focus peaking implementation is one of the best I?ve seen.  I
look forward to exploring the fine points of my lenses with it?instant
feedback!

As to whether an M10 is for you, the usual question applies: What will you
do with it? I think it?s the best digital M ever, and for things at which an
RF excels, it?s sweet. The EVF opens up the world of macro, tele and visual
DOF control with M lenses. But once you stop down and have to alternate
between wide-open focusing and narrow aperture viewing, a mirrorless camera
with native auto-diaphragm lenses is probably a better choice for most. If
you want to do slow, Ansel Adams type work and don?t mind twisting the
aperture ring back and forth, it will work.

As for the M10-M, no plans for it right now.  I picked up a used CCD MM a
few years ago and got the corroded sensor replaced for free. I love it
enough that I don?t see replacing it. My B&W work is mostly about people,
and I like a little grain at ISO 2500 and up. For someone who wants the
absolute maximum resolution and a bit better dynamic range for big
landscapes, etc., the M10-M would make sense.

Hope this helps!
?Peter

Replies: Reply from dennis.leicam6 at gmail.com (Dennis Kushner) ([Leica] How many people have/will buy M10/M10M?)