Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 31/10/2019: (re)discovering Thorvaldsen
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 07:36:31 +0100

I flew from Helsinki to Copenhagen on Wednesday afternoon to start my short
vacation in Denmark. I started Thursday by visiting my parents? graves in
the morning, and then I spent the rest of the day walking around the city.
The weather was dry and about 10 degrees warmer than Helsinki, so no
complaints on that score.

On a bit of whim, I decided to visit the Thorvaldsen museum. Bertel
Thorvaldsen (1770-1844) was born and educated in Copenhagen, but then moved
to Rome where he spent much of the rest of his life, making works for popes,
kings and assorted other rich and powerful people around Europe. He returned
to Copenhagen six years before his death and set up the museum that houses
his works, near the Christiansborg Palace which today houses Denmark?s
Parliament. Thorvaldsen?s grave is at the centre of the inner courtyard of
the museum. I have walked past this building a thousand times (maybe
exaggerating slightly?) but had never gone inside until Thursday. Four
images.

The building:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-4M7rpVv/A

The museum is popular with people practicing drawing; the sculpture make for
the patient models:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-XZrdLJw/A

As can be seen in the previous photo, Thorvaldsen used many classical
motives in his work. But I was especially drawn to his sculptures of great
writers and scientists. A couple of examples, starting with Lord Byron:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-HHvcHh6/A

And then Johann Gutenberg, holding his Bible, the first printed book ever:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-cmXBbq8/A

The rest of the day was less cultural but I very much enjoyed this visit to
one of the great Danes of the past. Next year Copenhagen will be celebrating
the 250th anniversary of Thorvaldsen?s birth, so there will be many
exhibitions and other events.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman