Subject: [Leica] what I did on my summer vacation
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 20:34:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I've recently returned from a vacation with family (an oxymoron?) in Arizona.

My older granddaughter wanted to see the Grand Canyon and since I hadn't
been there since I was a wee lad it was our first destination. The south rim
is over-run with visitors, many of whom are breathtakingly ignorant. Signs
and verbal warnings about the dangers of falling into the canyon and of
feeding the cute squirrels who may be carrying bubonic plague are routinely
ignored. "There's a reason Condors were re-introduced here, it's to clean up
after the people who've fallen off the cliffs."

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/cathartidae/gymnogyps/cacond01.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/corvidae/corvus/corave06.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/sciuridae/spermophilus/rosqui00.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/sciuridae/spermophilus/rosqui01.html

Having said this, the Grand Canyon fully deserves its name; it's spectacular
even in the harsh light of high noon. In the limited time we had, my older
grandson and I were only able to hike a small portion of the Bright Angel
trail and what this did for me was whet my appetite for more.
During our time in the plateau of northern Arizona the annual monsoons
returned and stayed with us for the remainder of our visit. Torrential
thunderstorms bringing flash floods followed by spectacular evenings were
some of the highlights of the trip, at least for myself. I can't speak for
the rest of the family.
After the Grand Canyon we went toward Tucson and points south, to visit the
Arizona Sonora Desert Museum and a few small towns with legendary tales in
their pasts. This is the Sonora Desert: hot and dry until the monsoons hit,
with something less than a bazillion species of cactus along with agaves,
Ochotillo, Mesquite and Palo Verde trees and a surprising diversity of
wildlife superbly adapted to life in the desert: for example, the Sonoran
Desert Toad which burrows into the soil at the end of the monsoon season and
waits dormant for months until thunderstorms awaken it and it digs its way
out. Don't lick the toad, it skin secretes a hallucinogenic toxin that can
kill small dogs.

The desert can be beautiful if you meet it on its own terms. If you fight
the desert, if you curse its heat and thorns, you will lose the battle. My
lifelong habit of being a 'morning person' was an advantage; several of my
best hikes were in the gentle warmth of the pre-dawn hours, and this
juncture between night and day is where nocturnal and diurnal critters meet.
My favorite wildlife encounter was on one of these pre-breakfast walks. I
had stopped to search for the source of a bird's song and while waiting
quietly a Javalina sauntered out of the brush and trotted within 20' to
munch on a cactus (genus Opuntia if I'm not mistaken). One slight move and
the little pig bolted back into the brush, never to be seen again.

Evenings in the Sonoran Desert were darned near magical as the day's last
light lit the lingering thunderstorms which by this hour had tapered off to
a light drizzle and occasional distant lightning flash.

I ought to mention that it's best to pay attention to that little 'check
engine' light. It might be expensive but fixing it means you'll get home
safely. BTW I can recommend Highway 92 Service Center in Bisbee Arizona.
This is a story for another time.

One day was reserved for hummingbirds, first at the Paton Center for
Hummingbirds in Patagonia Arizona

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/cynanthus/bbhumm00.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/cynanthus/bbhumm01.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/archilochus/bchumm23.html

and later in the day in the hummingbird aviary at the Arizona Sonora Desert
Museum

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/selasphorus/bthumm00.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/cynanthus/bbhumm02.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/cynanthus/bbhumm03.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/trochilidae/cynanthus/bbhumm04.html

Our campsite was also a good location for critter photos

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/leporidae/sylvilagus/decott06.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/leporidae/sylvilagus/decott07.html

using the technique of hanging around long enough to become part of the
background scenery, these Cactus Wrens were quite cooperative

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/troglodytidae/campylorhynchus/ctwren02.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/troglodytidae/campylorhynchus/ctwren06.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/troglodytidae/campylorhynchus/ctwren07.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/troglodytidae/campylorhynchus/ctwren08.html

with a surprise visit from a Curve-billed Thrasher

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/mimidae/toxostoma/cbthra03.html

all photos: Sony a7rIII, Sony FE 100-400 GM.  All comments are welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
http://doug-herr.fineartamerica.com