Subject: [Leica] IMG: Santa Faz, or an 8 km walk with 100, 000 of my closest friends
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 06:56:51 +0200

Just north of Alicante there is a monastery called Santa Faz (Holy Face),
housing what is supposedly a piece of cloth used to wipe Jesus?s face on his
way to the crucifixion. The relic has not been studied scientifically, so it
is impossible to verify the claim but it does not matter. Every year, on the
second Thursday after Easter, a pilgrimage takes place, starting at the
cathedral in the centre of Alicante and finishing 8 km later at the
monastery. The relic is brought out on this one occasion each year, mass is
said on the square in front of the monastery, and then people settle down to
an early lunch and a well-deserved rest. In past years, the young people
would bring with them stolen shopping carts full of booze and other
supplies, which they would consume on the beach following the procession (it
is a couple of km from the monastery to the beach). But beginning last year,
the police has cracked down on this huge botell?n, so this year not a single
shopping cart was to be seen. The young people still managed to smuggle some
bottles in backpacks etc., but the drinking binge is much subdued, probably
a good thing.

As is apparent from the above, this event, one of the major dates on the
Alicante calendar, is a mix of tradition, religious devotion and just a
fiesta. I have walked the route on a couple of occasions, but this year,
instead I took my bicycle and the camera in the handlebar bag, which allowed
me to move up and down the procession and document it at various points. The
resulting gallery is here:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Santa-Faz-2019/

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman