Subject: [Leica] Chambal Area
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 13:04:14 +0530

Before I went to Ranthambhore last month, I visited the Chambal River area
for the first time. Chambal, save for the last 30kms before it flows into
the Yamuna (which carries enough pollution from Delhi and Agra to kill all
humankind) is said to be the most pristine river system in India.

This is the last redoubt of the fish eating crocodilian, the Gharial, for
which the National Chambal Gharial Wildlife Sanctuary has been set up, on a
stretch of river bordering three large states. Once common in the riverine
systems of North India, it is now estimated that only 300-800 remain in the
wild, thanks to the usual pollution, over fishing and entanglement in
fishing nets. They are among the largest crocodilians, males have been
known to reach 20 feet. On this stretch where both the Gharial and Mugger
Crocodiles are found, the Gharials did look much more massive to my eyes:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3822.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3767.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3570.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3868.jpg.html

The Chambal system is also known for its bird life - we saw 120 species on
the river alone - I had an ace birder couple with me who were taking notes
on the sightings! The main attraction is undoubtedly the Indian Skimmer:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3906.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3677.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190312-4470.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190312-4335.jpg.html

Among the other birds we saw were the following:

Lesser Whistling Duck -
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190312-4276.jpg.html

Great Thick-knee -
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190312-4644.jpg.html

And finally, the most surprising sighting, a good 10-15 minutes with the
normally shy and reclusive Jungle Cat:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3356.jpg.html

The other area which is of interest around this area is a village called
Saifai, smack bang in the middle of the constituency of a major political
strongman, Mulayam Singh Yadav. Because of the political patronage, it is a
very prosperous area, with 4 lane highways connecting villages, and ample
water from two major rivers, the Yamuna and the Chambal, ensures very
fertile land. The fertility of the land attracts birds:

Black-necked Stork:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190312-4141.jpg.html

Saras Crane Take Off:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190312-4070.jpg.html

Saras Crane Dance:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190312-4188.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190312-4203.jpg.html

Finally a pair of River Lapwings in their noisy, careering flight:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190312-4092.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn) ([Leica] Chambal Area)
Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] Chambal Area)