Subject: [Leica] IMG: Algerians in Alicante
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 06:19:31 +0200

Thanks for looking, Jayanand. Responding on-list since others may wonder
also. There are two sources of connection between Algeria and Spain.

When Algeria was a French colony, Spain was a poor and backwards country in
the dark ages of Franco?s dictatorship, and a number of Spanish people
emigrated to French Algeria in search of a better life. They settled there,
had children etc. After Algeria became independent in the early 1960s, most
of them returned to Spain (in some cases with  children born in Algeria who
had never been to Spain). And because Alicante is the part of Spain closest
to Algeria (just look at the map), many of these returnees settled in this
area. We have friends among this group?they are Spanish-French bilingual
(often using French among themselves) but since many of them were small
children when they left Algeria, they have not many memories and no
particular nostalgia for the place.

And of course, in recent decades, we have had migration from North Africa
here in Spain, since the tables are now completely turned in terms of wealth
and economic development. It is those people who were celebrating
Bouteflika?s resignation in my photos.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman