Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Mary Swanzy exhibition at IMMA
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 02:40:25 +0000

The Irish Museum of Modern Art is based at the old Royal Hospital at
Kilmainham in Dublin. The building was constructed in 1684 and was
modelled on the layout of Les Invalides in Paris. It's a wonderful
exhibition space and my wife went there as part of her Culture group
which has about twenty women in it. I was allowed to tag along as I was
her driver and I'm distantly related - 5th cousin - to the pioneering
Irish woman artist Mary Swanzy whose work was being given a
retrospective. Mary Swanzy (1882-1978) also studied and worked in Paris
and was quite eclectic with her many styles of painting. While the art
world has seen the work of her contemporaries there - Picasso, Chagall,
etc - shoot up in value, her works have stayed in the thousands, rather
than the millions spent on her male fellows.

There's a brief intro to her life and her work at this link on IMMA's
Youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049g-w9xK5o

I took 17 images with my Fuji X100s and here they are.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/IMMA+Dublin/IMMA+1_+side+entrance.jpg.html

and click to the right to see the rest. All can be seen LARGE.

Douglas

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] IMGs: Mary Swanzy exhibition at IMMA)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMGs: Mary Swanzy exhibition at IMMA)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMGs: Mary Swanzy exhibition at IMMA)