Subject: [Leica] Galapagos Continued
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 08:32:13 +0530

Douglas B and Howard C,
Thanks for looking.

IMHO, the D500 is the king of bird photography now - thanks to its APS-C
format it allows the use of lighter, handheld lenses - which make it very
much easier to track and get sequences of birds in flight. With the new
Nikon 500mm f5.6, you get a field of view equivalent to a 750mm f5.6 lens,
which can be carried the whole day long, and in a body that, with the right
settings (14 bit lossless compressed RAW), has a buffer that accommodates
bursts of up to 200 RAW images at 10fps. What is there not to like?

Most so called "action cameras" fixate on speed (FPS) without mentioning
the buffer at all. What use is a speed of 10-12 fps and a buffer of 20-25
frames? It means you can only shoot for two seconds till you slow to a
crawl. This, at least to me, is one of the fundamental weakness with
mirrorless systems as it is today, for action photography, the other being
focus reacquisition. This will change in the near future, of that I have no
doubt, but the technology is not quite there as yet.

Cheers
Jayanand