Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Dun Laoghaire x 9
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 22:54:52 +0000

Thanks Don, Nathan, and Philippe.

Don, the town IS properly empire as we were ruled by it until 1922. We
still have relics of auld decency flitting amongst us, and my own
driveway comes out onto the Monkstown Road which prior to commercial
flights was the main thoroughfare into Dublin from the port of Kingstown
(now known again as Dun Laoghaire). On various visits to their Irish
colony, Kings and Queens of England passed by the gate of my house along
the Monkstown Road in horse drawn open topped carriages en route from
royal yacht parking in Dun Laoghaire harbour.

Here's a picture from 1911 and you can admire the hats as the passing
royalty receive a floral tribute 600 metres down the road from where I
type this.
It's from Alamy https://tinyurl.com/y9njau2u

BTW Monkstown and "royalty" still seem to be inextricably linked as the
"Queen of Pop" (Madonna) visited our local church a few years ago to
attend an Irish friend's funeral.

Douglas