Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 27/11/2018: an award ceremony in a fantastic place in Warsaw
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 10:12:03 +0100

Every two years, our office sponsors an award for the best industrial design
by a European company. There are two categories: one for small companies,
and one for large ones, plus a lifetime achievement award to an eminent
designer. This year we are held the event in Warsaw yesterday, part of the
celebrations of the country?s 100th anniversary of independence and hence
also the 100th anniversary of the Polish Patent Office. The venue was at
first sight a bit curious: POLIN, the magnificent museum of Jewish history,
at the heart of what was Warsaw?s ghetto until 1943. What does POLIN have to
do with designs? Nothing in particular, except that it is a fantastic
building, and also, like many museums, it is always looking for additional
income sources, and making its auditorium available for this kind of event
is one such source. It was a very nice event, and here are six images from
the ceremony.

The lobby of the museum:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-RXWh4z2/A

Colours and shapes:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-QDCZkjf/A

The event gets under way, moderated by professional moderators:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-rcS3LrS/A

To kick things off, a video about the value of industrial design is played,
including a short blurb from yours truly about the importance of designs to
the economy and to individual companies:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-k8pVNw8/A

The winner of the small company award, to my great pleasure, was a Danish
company that has designed a new kind of automatic self-service automatic
luggage drop-off for airports:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-x9bjVtH/A

And the ceremony ended with a lifetime achievement award to a German
designer who has worked with some of best known companies in the world, such
as Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Lufthance and numerous others:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-WgxbzQK/A

This last one is probably my favourite image of the event.

My week in Warsaw continues.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman