Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 2/11/2018: my first day in Copenhagen
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 08:00:18 +0100

As I always do at this time of year, I am visiting Denmark for a few days.
The main reason for choosing this week is to visit my father?s grave on (or
close to) the anniversary of his death 14 years ago. I flew up from Alicante
in the morning, checked into my hotel and immediately made my way to the
Jewish cemetery:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-BxJrJx5/A

After visiting my father?s grave, I stopped by at the monument to the Danish
Jews who died in the Theresienstadt concentration camp?only about 50 out of
a population of about 8000 Jews in Denmark in 1943, most of whom were saved
by being smuggled across the Sound to neutral Sweden in October 1943 by
Danish fishermen and others. A remarkable episode in the darkest time:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-kdfxjrG/A

Having performed my yearly ?ritual?, I set out to enjoy a crisp autumn
afternoon in Copenhagen:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-L52RD3H/A

As darkness fell, the main pedestrian street Str?get looked even nicer than
in daytime:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-Z4f4D2K/A

I walked across one of Copenhagen?s great squares, Kongens Nytorv, and
stopped to photograph Magasin du Nord, Copenhagen?s oldest department store,
celebrating its 150th anniversary and still going strong:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-cxTLtJ6/A

And finally, I made my way to McJoys, a bar in Nyhavn, where I used to go
with my father. This is another part of how I honour his memory when I
visit; I always go there to have a pint or two:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-FGqntNq/A

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman