Subject: [Leica] tripod suggestions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 04:43:31 -0400

Gitzo having been bought by Manfrotto has been under a boom ever since they
have all kinds of new styles and their stuff is way better designed and no
less classy than it was before. In the old days just getting them muddy
could be bad news.
They have a Series system when the #5 starts feeling clunky you can just try
a  4 or 3.

The 5 may not be what you really have because few people have ever taking
them on location and lived. They are monsters. Studio tripods.
My biggest is a 4 and it weighs more than me. But then it's made of heavy
metal.
The carbon fiber layers keeps getting lighter and stronger and made it all a
whole new ballgame.
But it?s the heads when have really changed tripod use.
I just got An Arca-Swiss Monoball p0 Ballhead with Classic Quick Release MFR
# 801-214
They call it Arca Swiss because it's made in Germany.
And it did cost more than my Gitzo Series 1 Carbon Fiber but I only had to
pay for it once.
But have gotten some heavier glass as of late. So will need to replace a
Series 2 or 3 with the  Carbon Fiber.
Fiber fights for you!
$999 gets you just about any Gizo Tripod you want. And you only have to pay
for it once.
Their website now is pretty well done some of the videos are well done.
I never buy anything anymore unless I see the video first.
I Youtube the hell out of it!

Series          Leg
Series 00       Table   5/8?
Series 0        Weekend 20mm, 3/4?
Series 1        Sport   24mm 7/8?
Series 2        Reporter/Mountaineer    28mm, 1-1/8"
Series 3        Studex & Inter Pro Studex       32mm, 1-1/4"
Series 4        Pro Studex      1-1/2"
Series 5        Tele Studex     41mm, 1-5/8"

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 9/21/18, 8:08 AM, "LUG on behalf of Doug Herr via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    John McMaster wrote:

    >I assume that is the older aluminium version?

    If not aluminum it's cast iron ;) and it's certainly older.

    >  Tall sturdy tripods are expensive, carbon fibre Gitzo or RRS....

    The piggy bank has been prepared for the expense, any specific
suggestions?

    Doug Herr
    Birdman of Sacramento
    http://www.wildlightphoto.com

they're difficult for arthritic hands to operate.

    >What I want: less weight, same height, better leg locks, similar
sturdiness.  Head will be Acratech long-lens head with Wimberley sidekick.
Biggest camera likely to include a 500mm f/4 with 1.4x extender.