Subject: [Leica] Professional photographers?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 04:19:10 -0400

Hi Ted! Maybe next time I should say: "you know how everybody says they're a
photographer? Well some people really are!"
It's like once way back in the funny farm on a little island there's a guy
dressed up like Napoleon. And he really is Napoleon! Somebodies gotta be!
Just ran into another iPhone mega shooter the other day totally enthralled
by their multitudinous cell phone grabs but the idea of using a camera or
printer so far from their mindset it was like I made an ass of myself to
even bring it up.
It's bugged me more and more this everybody feeling "photographer" is part
of their title.
They would not say "gardener" if they ever mowed a lawn. And I can do twenty
minutes on moving lawns. My edging was weak and there was no dental.
I've wondered if on the "I'm a photographer" thing the purpose is really not
to inflate themselves but deflate those of us who use the title to reflect
the real focus of our lives. Too diabolical I'm sure but I keep getting
those kinds of vibes.
As the hippies once said " just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're
not trying to kill you".
Photography is fair game for some reason; a dumping ground. People love
trivializing it any way they can. I think it stands alone in that regard. I
can't think of another avocation/ vocation where that kind of thing goes on.
"I don?t just collect stamps I designed half of them!".
They love to pull the "paparazzi" word on you as if they didn?t know it was
an insult and as if they didn?t know it was not you.
So I go through this tacky song and dance so they really know that I'm not
some stock trader with a new camera he just won on eBay.
One of the first stops I made showing my first portfolio around the guys
told me I have to not be afraid of "selling myself". And by that they meant
dropping a few soundbites out of their resum? to impress people. Which they
did and it certainly had that effect on me. But then they for sure knew I
was a photographer, up and coming maybe. But I had only a couple of
soundbites to drop at the time.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 9/20/18, 1:09 PM, "LUG on behalf of Ted Grant via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Good morning Mark,
    Well my long time friend and good buddy, it sounds like the
ramifications of the "new world of being a "Pro-photographer" is catching up
to you as every brother and sister become a ""pro-photographer????"" with
their new "I-phone" or whatever these contraptions are called???"Try talking
to them about "LIGHT=ANGLES=COLOUR or B&W? SHOOTING FROM THE SHADOWSIDE?" I
find many respond with?
    "OH I DON'T NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT. AS I USE AN I=PHONE.  THAT
CORRECTS THE exposure, LIGHTING, DISTORTION, AND PRETTY WELL EVERYTHING ELSE
THAT IT CORRECTS!!!"
    After my 65 years as a "photojournalist" :-) photographing about the
world. Note I've stopped using the word "photographer! WHY? Because I'm
tired of being lumped in with the world of PSUEDO "photographers?" by every
cotton picking owner of A MACHINE that captures some kind of image while the
user is on the phone or whatever?
    Yeah I know I sound like I'm whining about these new "photographer
types?" But I'm not, as I come from a time when being recognized as a
"PHOTOGRAPHER" meant something more than many of the dip-sticks OF TODAY who
call themselves "professional photographer!!" :-(
    So my old buddy it's much easier to refer to yourself as a
"photojournalist!" As it means something more realistic than "photographer"
lumped in with all the pseudo photographers of today!"
    cheers,
    Dr. ted grant O.C.