Subject: [Leica] IMG: Russian cannon
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 01:34:55 +0100

Ireland during WW2 was "neutral" so we didn't melt down anything. As a
result, we still have a lot of the metal architectural flourishes that
vanished from British cities during the war. We didn't even call it WW2
here, but rather "The Emergency" and, while we were ostensibly
intransigent in our neutrality, we were secretly supporting the Allies
with covert information, quick repatriation of crashed aircrew and
sailors, and, of course, many Irish fought for them during the war.

Funnily enough, my mother's brother Griffith ran away from home with a
friend to join the RAF in 1942. Both of them were 17 at the time and
they headed up from Dublin to Northern Ireland on their bicycles. They
made it to just outside Dundalk when they were stopped and returned home
by the Garda?.? My grandfather who was a Chief Superintendent in the
Garda? at the time and head of the Local Security Force during the
Emergency had eventually extracted their plans from my mother and her
sisters, and made a couple of quick phone calls to cut off the obvious
routes.? My uncle was "returned" home in a police van and was promised
he could fly instead for the Irish Air Corps once he had finished
school. Sadly, he was killed in May 1944 when he crashed his Miles
Magister trainer (serial no. 37) just after going solo when he looped
the loop for friends and clipped a tree.

Douglas