Subject: [Leica] OT: Sim Chip in Europe
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2018 11:01:17 -0700

Mobile phones have radios in them, and those radios use certain
frequencies. It is not guaranteed that a phone configured for T-Mobile
use in the USA will be able to communicate with European cell towers. If
it can't talk to the cell tower, then the SIM won't matter. I shopped
carefully to find a 4-band phone to maximize the chances that my phone
would work in other countries.

See https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-4988

I recommend that he get comfortable with using WiFi, which is available
in many public places in the countries you have named.