Subject: [Leica] Nikon mirrorless
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 15:36:40 -0700

There are generically, 2 different types of Nikon lenses....for the purposes
of this discussion.....
Those with mechanical f-stop control ( all the old legacy Nikon lenses back
to the 1960's)
Those with electrical f-Stop control... also called G lenses...... about the
past 10 years or so.... Look at lenses without a f-stop ring......

Nikon, to offer full compatibility, would need to offer both types of iris
control on the adapter.
Same is true for AF capability.... electrical connection ( AF-S lenses) and
mechanical connection ( AF, AF-D, etc.)

While my heart is still with Nikon, and the move to make a mirrorless body
is great news, without the correct combination of the adapter, I am NOT
going to buy all new lenses: Translation : No adapter, no need to buy the
body.

I have many Nikon lenses, some AF, some AF-S, some G, some ( most) MF.  With
the Sony A7 bodies, and the Fotodiox Nikon to Sony AF adapter, I can use all
the Nikon lenses I own.   It is the primary reason that Sony is a major
player again.... adapters that allow already purchased lenses on new bodies.
( not that the AF capability is terribly important to me....)

 IF Nikon can not match that legacy capability, I do not see them as winners
in the market.....  See the Nikon 1 Family to see what a failure looks
like....

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net

Not so sure about that. If all the existing AF-F mount lenses can be used
via adapter, this can truly signal the end of SLRs.

Sony was the first to the market, with a full 35mm sensor, but having to
invest in a new set of lenses prevented many from making the jump. If Nikon
can pave a path for smoother transition, with full compatibility with
legacy accessories, as it has historically done, I can see many people
embracing the new standard.

Nikon's previous mirrorless standard was indeed a failure, trying to avoid
cannibalising the existing SLR market. But they have now seen that the SLR
era is over.

Message from zoeica at mac.com (chris williams) ([Leica] Nikon mirrorless)
Message from ken at iisaka.com (Ken Iisaka) ([Leica] Nikon mirrorless)