Subject: [Leica] Developing E-4 Ektachrome at home
From: hlritter at twc.com (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 00:50:16 -0400

Does anyone know anything about home processing of E-4 Ektachrome as a B&W
negative?

My brother just came across Dad?s old View-Master stereo camera, opened the
back, and discovered that it had a partially exposed roll of film in it. He
sent the camera to me and I figured out how to rewind the film. (Thank you,
Mike Butkus at Orphan Cameras, butkus.org <http://butkus.org/>) When I took
it out, I found that it?s process E-4 Ektachrome, which I was told was
marketed from 1963-74. I suspect the film was shot toward the early part of
that period. I?d like to see what images of me and my sibs might be on it.

It can be processed at some expense by several commercial labs, but they?ll
develop it as a B&W negative. I?d think this could be done at home, since
it?s the color and the reversal that take the exotic chemicals and the
technique, correct? I know there?s a caveat about the need for hardening of
the emulsion of E-4 film prior to processing, so this might make it
impossible to do at home.

Any instructions, experiences, or guidance appreciated.

BTW, I?m running a roll of Ilford Delta 100, the highest ASA the camera is
calibrated for ? and it goes down to ASA 4, for original Kodachrome! ?
through it now. It might yield some interesting images for those who can
fuse stereo pairs by staring at them onscreen. If so, I?ll post them.

(This camera has an innovative system with linked ASA, shutter speed, and
aperture dials, calibrated for subject brightness and for illumination level
? and even for summer or winter! ? obviating the need for a light meter. As
I recall, it was quite effective even with the slide film that it had to
use. It had fixed-focus lenses and a viewfinder that incorporated a spirit
level below the field of view, as leveling is critical for a stereo camera.
A flash attachment with its own built-in split-image rangefinder for
determining the correct aperture setting was available. Because the stereo
effect was more pronounced the closer the subject, two degrees of close-up
lenses were available, going down to 20". Conceptually and mechanically,
it?s a fascinating camera and system.)

?howard