Subject: [Leica] Chief Joseph Dam
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 01:02:44 -0700

One of the highlights of my eastern Washington trip was a tour of Chief
Joseph Dam, on the Columbia River near Bridgeport, WA.? This dam plays
second fiddle to the higher and better-known Grand Coulee Dam, but is
quite impressive in its own right.? It is a little over a mile wide
overall.? The powerhouse contains 27 generators of between 88 an 109
megawatts each.

We were lucky enough to meet, quite accidentally,? a very nice park
ranger. I asked him if they were giving tours inside the dam.
Officially, the season hadn't started for non-reserved public tours, but
he said, "Do you want a tour?"? Oh, yes!? It was hog heaven for anyone
who likes huge machines and? control panels with lots of dials, gauges
and big switches.? The immensity of the project also shows what we are
capable of when we have our act together.

Unfortunately, I can't show you anything from inside the dam, because
photography is strictly verboten.? The post 9-11 security measures are
quite thorough, but understandable.

What I can show you is the B&W photos I took from the publicly
accessible areas near the spillway.? Water levels were high and almost
all the spillway gates were open.? It was quite a show!

I'd appreciate some C&C about these photos. I was trying to show the
power and beauty of all that falling water and spray.? Which ones
succeed?? I'll leave them labeled by camera file number for easy
identification for the next day or two.

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/27292691487/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/27292691657/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/41263412915/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/41263412745/in/dateposted-public/>
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/27292691847/in/dateposted-public/>

Leica M Monochrome with 35 and 50 Summicrons and 90/3.5 Voigtlander,
plus yellow filter.? Enjoy!

--Peter

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] Chief Joseph Dam)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Chief Joseph Dam)