Subject: [Leica] Need printing paper advice
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 05 May 2018 00:26:37 -0400

The serious people who will be viewing your work will not be impressed with
the Velvet finish I'd for sure skip it
 You'll find yourself marginalized unless its behind glass and even then..
Go with the 100% rag context plain and simple, skip the finish. It?s the
standard of the fine art printing industry at his point and likely to remain
so.
Epson sells  Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper I forgot who makes it for them it's
probably ok. 100% Cotton Rag Material
Basis Weight: 260 gsm Thickness: 19 mil. But I'd just find who who makes it
for them and get it from them.
Hahnem?hle Photo Rag Paper which comes in three thicknesses one of which is
308 gsm.
I've been using it for over  a dozen years. Printed several portfolios of
every imaginable size and hung one show. (11x17")
For 5x7's I use Moab Entrada Rag Bright 300 which is pretty much the same as
the Hahnem?hle rag but comes in that smaller size.
Its 100%  cotton with a slight coating. Some people print museum board which
is 100% cotton with no coating.
So in this respect we are keeping it simple stupid. For a burgeoning
technology a better approach. And also what the collectors and museums and
galleries expect.
As you already know; no glossy
No baryta, no metallic. No nothin..

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802777-REG/Hahnemuhle_10641434_Photo_Rag_Paper_8_5.html

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 5/4/18, 2:45 PM, "LUG on behalf of Eddy Willems"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of eddy at
altphoto.be> wrote:

    I use

      Brilliant Museum Satin Matte White 300grams

    for printing very fine paper but I don't know if you can find it in the
us

    Op 4/05/18 om 20:15 schreef Richard Clompus via LUG:
    > I have taken to heart the concept that you need to print your best
images.  Storing them on a hard drive makes it difficult to really enjoy
them or to give them to others as gifts.  So my current project is to print
a portfolio of black & white nude images taken during a Leica Master Class
with Ralph Gibson in San Francisco. I learned a lot from him in 3 days. I?m
very pleased with the images but have no clue how to exhibit them.  I?ve
hesitated to post nudes to our gallery but would be willing to share a few
if there is interest.  They are reminiscent of timeless nudes from Imogen
Cunningham and Edward Weston.

    > I?m printing with an Epson P800 printer and started with Epson Velvet
Fine Art Paper (8.5 x 11?).  Its a mat paper, 100% rag content, acid free,
19 mil thickness, 260 gm weight with a slightly textured surface.  I?m ready
to treat myself with better paper but don?t have any experience with rag
paper from Moab, Canson, Hahnem?hle or Museo.  These fine art papers get
expensive very quickly so I?ve decided to use 8.5 x 11 for now.