Subject: [Leica] IMG: More Kodak APS Images
From: hlritter at twc.com (Howard L Ritter Jr)
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 23:24:47 -0400

That?s a beautiful and fascinating set, Jim. I wish I had a better
recollection of AEDC from my ROTC summer-camp visit there in ?67.

I had a fling with APS too, still have my Canon EOS-IX APS SLR here on the
shelf in my study, and lots of (inaccessible) rolls of developed film in the
drawer. Any idea whether it?s possible still to get these scanned?

The nameplate on the electric motor is fascinating ? 13200 V @ 2750 A! That
means the resistance of the windings is less than 5 Ohms. Given that there
must be hundreds of meters of wire in the windings, the conductors must have
the gauge of a garden hose. With a PF of 100%, the 13200 x 2750 x sqrt(3) VA
works out to some 62 MW or 83000 hp at the shaft.

For comparison, the four MerMaid electric propulsion pods of the Queen Mary
2 together at full steam draw 80 MW or only about 30% more than what this
motor draws! I?d guess that this motor alone could power the QM2 at the
economical speed with which we crossed the Atlantic in 2013. The ship?s
power plant produces less than twice the power that this motor consumes.
That is one H of a motor!

The ducting for the tunnel looks like any old industrial stuff?until you
notice the gauge of the steel stock, and the sheer number of bolts on the
flanges. That was built to take SOME pressure!

?howard