Subject: [Leica] More with the Rolleiflex
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 08:36:01 +0530

Lluis,
Maybe the problem is not so much with the post processing, but the digital
medium itself? As I know for sure, your film output translates very well
into darkroom prints! I am also thinking of changing to Capture One because
of its superior handling of Fuji files, but the thought of learning,
in-depth, of another intricate, complex piece of software has really put me
off till now! :-)

My personal view is that digital output has a much smoother, and far more
controllable tonal curve. What is more, the RAW file is akin to unexposed
film that can be processed a million times for various outputs, making it
far more flexible, and forgiving of mistakes, than film. I am not a big fan
of the grungy, grainy look for its own sake - if that is the way the end
result turns out, so be it, but I probably am not going to add grain the
size of golfballs to achieve a "Tri X pushed to ASA 1600" look in my
digital files, in the mistaken impression that only that is true B&W. Both
are different mediums with different characteristics, and so be it. The
same caveat holds for digital printing vs darkroom printing as well.

That said, to each his own, the diversity of views, and civilized debate of
the same, is what makes it fun!

Cheers
Jayanand