Subject: [Leica] KolariVision Ultra Thin filter for Sony a7rii
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 13:08:11 -0700

?FWIW, I'm converting to 100% Sony a7r with the KolariVision Ultra Thin
(UT) filter (sensor cover) that matches the M9's.  All of my FE mount
lenses are going to be sold.  Leica M mount wins.  I'll use the Voigtlander
VM-E adapter between the M-mount optics and camera.

What I've found is that most of my Leica M lenses (or M mount optics like
the outstanding Voigtlander 35mm Ultron) have different settings on the VM
mount that optimize sharpness.  When there is a class cover over the
sensor, it's not surprising that Leica M optics with different ray angles
are optimized at different settings.  (It makes one wonder about the older
M lenses and how well they really work on the M9.)

The Loxia 35mm was the last straw for the Sony FE mount optics.  If that
market has standards that low, I'm out of there.  The Loxia 35mm is a dog;
even at f/8 the corners are really soft.  It's on its way back to the
dealer.

I so appreciate the Leica M standards -- super sharp and compact.

I might add that not all Leica M glass works well with the KolariVision UT
filer on the Sony.  The very wide, symmetrical designed M lenses have too
obtuse ray angles for the Sony even with the UT glass cover.   This
includes the 28mm f/2.8 that I rather liked on the M9.  So, for wider than
35mm, I use the WATE.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com