Subject: [Leica] Ranthambhore
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 13:08:03 +0530

I have just come back from Ranthambhore, visiting after a period of over 4
years. Many of the tigers and tigresses of the tourist zone have given way
to their children, and I was looking forward to seeing the new crop, many
of whom I had photographed as cubs. The park has also started a full day
pass system, which entitles you to stay inside from dawn to dusk, but more
importantly, it is also zone free, meaning that a holder can wander
anywhere in the tourist zone, effectively weaning the holder from the
vagaries and pressures of both time and geography!

They have had an awful monsoon this year, and the Dhonk Forest is already
drying out appreciably, and the lakes are only half full. Next March-April
should be a great time to go there for photography!

I start with a photograph I like a lot, of one of Noor's (T39) current crop
of three female 16 yo cubs enjoying the water after an invigorating meal of
Sambhar deer.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171103-1890.jpg.html

Next are a few photographs of Arrowhead, the current "Queen of the Lakes",
the dominant female of a large part of the Tourist Zone, collated over two
separate sightings on the same day:

Arrowhead:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-1043.jpg.html

Waking Up:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-134.jpg.html

Strider:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-201.jpg.html

Monarch:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-736.jpg.html

Eye Contact 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-789.jpg.html

Eye Contact 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-1021.jpg.html

Environmental Portrait:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-1098.jpg.html

This row of Hanuman Langurs caught my eye as I was leaving the park:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-1121.jpg.html

Lastly, a few birds:

Juvenile Crested Serpent Eagle:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-019.jpg.html

Indian Cormorant, with lunch:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171101-045.jpg.html

Black-winged Stilt:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/RNP/Ranthambhore-20171103-2234.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome!

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Ranthambhore)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Ranthambhore)