Subject: [Leica] Leica officially announced Thambar 2.2/90
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 19:31:26 -0500

On Oct 17, 2017, at 4:15 PM, Montie <montoid at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Concur, can we say, "Edsel"?
>
> Montie
>
>> They have a nostalgic look to them but I would guess it's nothing you
>> couldn't do digitally if you wanted to.
Seems like a lot of work to recreate something a lens can do in one step.
I'm partly a pictorialist, and I like using my Wollensak Verito and my
home-made Thambar substitute (the Velmar)
for some pictures.  I don't think every photo has to be super-sharp.

I like what George said:

>Digital ?effects?
>Optical ?effects?
>generally fail
>in the same way
>that digital ?effects
>trying to mimic
>Drawing and/or Painting ?effects?
>generally fail.

>The Rodenstock Imagon lenses and Thambar and the like
>achieve their effects in unique ways.
>You may not like them or their effects;
>yet they do draw unique images.
>And the Imagons can deliver tack sharp to numerous
>different types of softness along with glowing highlights.

I did a comparison test once, using a very detailed mannikin with a wig.
I shot it with a 135mm f/4.5 Hektor straight, the Hektor + a DUTO #1, a
DUTO #2, a piece of window screen, and then
with my 135mm f/4.5 modified Elmar (what I call the Velmar)  Each variation
was different, but my favorite was the
Velmar.  There was a sharp image overlaid with a glow in the highlights
that I found appealing.  It's the same
look that I get with the 9" f/4 Wollensak Verito on my 4x5 RB Graflex.

Here's the same woman photographed with these two lenses.
<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Portraits/Glamour2005_AMR.jpg.html

<
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Portraits/Glamour05_Velmar_AMR.jpg.html