Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Summerfest
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 00:25:49 +0100

Tina,
I like your capture of those, no doubt, doughty - albeit a bit doughy
and a tad dingy - defenders of the Confederate heritage lined up in all
their hirsute glory. I'd never heard of Brigadier General Micah Jenkins
before, as we don't study the war of Northern Aggression in Irish schools.

However, Google is our friend and a couple of minutes reading and I see...
"From an army camp in Virginia, Edisto planter Micah Jenkins wished his
brother John luck in moving their slaves up country:

I fully approve your determination to enforce obedience among our
negroes at any alternative.  I would shoot the first who refused to
move; but I would manage to have force enough so as to ensure their going"

Now that's what I call a memorable "heritage"! Thoughts of Reinhard
Heydrich's legacy spring to mind.

Mind you, there's probably a statue to Micah somewhere, but I wonder
does it show him being shot in the head by his own men?

Douglas