Subject: [Leica] IMG: Czech Holocaust memorial
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 21:02:41 -0700

Corrected link for the photo of art by children of the Terezin
concentration camp:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/35766092394/in/dateposted-public/>

Nathan is correct, the way I worded my caption implied that Communism
fell later than it actually did. I've fixed it.  The actual story is
more complicated than fit into a caption.  When the Prague Holocaust
Memorial was closed (undoubtedly due to Soviet pressure), the official
reason given was "to protect it from moisture."  After the Velvet
Revolution, the inscriptions had to be restored due to--you guessed
it--damage from moisture. That took several years.

I strongly suspect the real reason why the exhibit was closed was the
same reason why, for a long time, there was no monument at Babi Yar
(site of a huge mass shooting of Jews from Kiev). And when one was
finally built, it only mentioned that "Soviet citizens" were killed. It
was long Soviet policy that Jews should get no special mention (or any
at all) regarding Nazi mass killings.  This silent Holcaust denial
helped shade the East Germans from collective guilt, gave ideological
cover for Stalin's campaign against "Rootless Cosmopolitans" and later
treatment of Jewish "Refuseniks" who wanted to leave the USSR, and
helped ingratiate the Soviets with Arab countries.

--Peter

 > Nathan wrote:
 > Hi Peter,
 >
 > Thanks for sharing these. Two things, however: the third link points
to the
 > same image as the second. And: while the museum may not have reopened
until
 > 1995, Communism fell in 1989/90.
 >
 > These photos remind me of the Heydrich assassination?here was one top
Nazi