Subject: [Leica] TL2?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 14:14:15 -0400

Cameras need to remind you of cameras. They need to hark back to the
verisimilitude of operating a camera. Should they remind of a sewing machine
or telephone or egg beater it?s not doing anybody any good.
I just read a handful of reviews of the just announced today Leica TL2
before I found one which bothered to mention the sensor size. It?s APS-C.
1.5 crop. It?s supposed to make you not miss your iPhone burning a hole in
your front pocket but in the end, just reminds who your true friend really
is. It?s the one you take pictures of your head next to the Eiffel Tower and
Mount Rushmore.  Who needs it did you iPhone forget how to take pictures? It
needs you are you reading this text on it right now? Thanks good.  I think
the best way to compete against iPhone photography is to just make cameras
which take noticeably better pictures and which can with a press of a button
be forwarded to the internet so your friends won?t miss what you are having
for lunch.  I think people who are into their photography just a bit will
stand to not be reminded every second that they?re not using their iPhone. A
camera does not need a touch screen iPhone like interface you end up mad at
it you can?t make a phone call with it.
Possibly the key to who this camera is aimed it can be found in the fact
that few of the reviews bother to mention the sensor size. The format. The
bottom line of any camera.
So, it?s in the category of shiny electronic devices which make you look
rich and interface with your computer stuff wirelessly for the most part.
Stuff you could maybe play with if you ever got tired of playing with your
iPhone which face it is not going to happen.
I do think Leica is off the hook as for every bomb like this it comes out
with it comes out with a legitimate camera system a few months later. There
literally is a new Leica camera system coming out every season. This is the
summer camera. It fits in the beach bag with the towels and suntan lotion.
The autumn system will be more serious to match the autumn movies which
everyone will watch on their iPhones. Hopefully with earphones.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer