Subject: [Leica] How to build, from scratch, a fast LR specific Windows computer.....
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 12:12:23 -0700

I approached the article as if I were to buy a new machine tomorrow, what
should I look for...  specifically working on image processing with LR....
or its associated brothers and cousins....  If I were into spreadsheets, I
would choose differently....

A 6 year old machine has older ( note, not obsolete, just older) port
configurations, SATA adapters, maximum memory on the MB, etc.  A new machine
( picking the right one) has all new protocol devices.... which means they
are faster and more compatible with the current set of SW and HW available.
Eventually it becomes required because something you want to use will not
run on your old machine....   It is not always about processor speed....

I never forget that there is a Dell Refurbished WEBSite, that has many
machines at about 1/2 price....  I have bought many over the years..... and
as a start, they offer good value.  Add to them as you wish....

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/22/campaigns/outlet

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Leica] How to build, from scratch, a fast LR specific Windows
computer.....

Interesting.  Thanks for the article.  I am getting closer to an upgrade as
I am running the second generation i7 chip right now with 16GB RAM.  Still
not bad, but getting the itch.  Had this since 2011.  I think a newer
processor will do a bit more, but the big advances will be in allowing
different storage and memory technologies to work with.

Aram

Message from leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram) ([Leica] How to build, from scratch, a fast LR specific Windows computer.....)