Subject: [Leica] PESO 06 24 17
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:01:49 -0400

People you photograph are affected by larger formats they seem to rise to
the occasion as if my magic, its uncanny.
What affects them even more is the way you are holding the camera with the
viewing system. ?Point and shoot? most often means it?s up to your face and
you are looking straight through to them just like a gun or rifle sight. It
can feel threatening.
But with lots of medium format systems you could slip on a waist level
viewing system so the camera is at your waist and you are looking down at it
as if you were checking for gum on your shoe.  You are clicking away at
people who if they notice at all could care less.
Replace that folding finder with an eye level prism and your odds of getting
socked in the face yourself goes right back up to where you were with 35mm.
So, watch out for that Pentax 67!
You can get a waist level finder for one and for a song but you are stuck
with landscapes. Portraits are super awkward.
I think someone said when you photograph people with little film you
photograph their clothes but when you use big film you photograph their
souls. Or something like that; or way different.

--

Mark William Rabiner