Subject: [Leica] Photo bikes
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 22:57:25 +0200

Just a couple of points from someone who has taken more than 1000 pics so
far this year while cycling.

A Leica is totally unsuitable for cycling. It is expensive and fragile. The
rangefinder can easily be knocked out of alignment by the vibrations from
the road bumps, and if you take a spill. A backpack is a bad idea if you are
doing serious road cycling. Whatever equipment you carry should be on the
bike, not on you.

I use a Ricoh GR as my cycling camera. I carry it in an Ortlieb handlebar
bag, in a Billingham pouch. The camera is small and light but it takes
pictures that are as good as those from my Fuji X-T2 or Leica M8.

As for the security aspect, obviously your mileage will vary depending on
where you live. I had two mountain bikes stolen from my backyard this
spring, while a much more expensive road bike parked in the same area was
untouched. When I go for rides in the mountains etc. I do bother with a lock
since I do not take breaks except to pee or to have a Coke with the bike
next to me. When I use a bike to go shopping, I just use a regular lock, the
kind that would be easy for a professional thief to defeat, but we do not
have many of those in my neighborhood.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman