Subject: [Leica] IMG: Rolling Sculpture #8 --BMW Bike
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 13:03:29 -0000

Ric,
Like all the mages you've posted in this series, the R7 is a wonderful piece
of engineering beauty. Jay Leno has a Youtube video of it running and does a
brief explanation of it together with its carer, Pity he doesn't mention
that it was the first bike in the world with telescopic front forks, even
though with its rigid tail you had to rely on a very well sprung seat to
protect your bum on bumpy roads.

Those Germans were big on saddle springing. Even in 1954 the NSU Max had a
very well sprung saddle to help with the bumps despite having a concealed
suspension unit in the frame. I remember blasting over bumpy farm roads in
West Cork on a very battered and tatty '54 Max in the '60s. Now I can
recreate the sights and sounds of my youth thanks to Youtube videos :-)

Douglas