Subject: [Leica] 90 Summicron (Canada): still front-focussing!
From: peter.cheyne at gmail.com (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 13:58:53 +0900

I told Sherry, and said I mainly use an M9. I omitted to tell her I also
use an M3. Maybe I should have said. Her reply is:

"Not me.  I am strictly film.  Sorry.  Best regards, Sherry"

So, Don G says no, send to Leica. Sherry K basically says she won't touch a
lens that will be mainly used on digital. Leica Japan say they can't
correct it because they don't have the parts, and they report that Leica
Germany say the same thing. Kindermann Canada (LightPro Group), on behalf
of Gerry Smith, said:

". . . we would need the camera and lens to test. If the coupling on both
the camera and lens are correct, then I don't think Gerry can help. We
adjust the lenses to the factory standard on the Leitz equipment for the
standards of the film era. The critical testing and adjustment adjustment
for digital use is only possible with the aid of computerized optical
adjustment and MTF calibration. Such equipment, and the skill to use it, I
think is only existing at the factory in Wetzlar. We have had issues
similar to this and sent lenses to Leica NJ, and they ended sending them to
Germany."

My hands are in the air. Now it's looking like Gerry at Kindermann might be
my only option, and the person at Kindermann who wrote me that recent
message seems quite unconfident about their facilities being able to
correct the lens to M9 standards.

As Spencer says, it looks like a Catch 22, with Leica not having parts, but
having the machinery, and vice versa with Gerry at Kindermann. I think this
looks like my best way now is to call Gerry at Kindermann and tell him I
can send him my M9 with the lens, so that he can use the camera itself for
further tests, to tweak focus after the Leitz film era equipment has given
its results.

Still hoping to repair this lens, as I think gives some beautiful results!

Peter

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] 90 Summicron (Canada): still front-focussing!)