Subject: [Leica] My Workflow - as "KISS" as I can get it.
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 15:14:48 -0600

I'm boggled by the discussions on Lightroom, plug-ins, etc.  I'm not very
digitally sophisticated.
FWIW, this is what I do on a MacBook Pro.

For digital images from my four cameras:

1. Import RAW files through Adobe DNG converter to MacBook hard drive
folders organized by Year>Month>Camera. (Sub folders for Canon 30D, Fuji
X-E2, Lumix LX3, and now iPhone SE)

2. In Adobe Bridge, rename the files with this convention:
YYYYMMDD_MR_Mine_original file ID.extension

3. In Bridge, add generic metadata from appropriate template (name,
copyright info)

4. In Bridge, check off applicable keywords from my custom list and then
type in others that might apply only to a specific picture.

5. Open the DNG files in Bridge and adjust color balance, crop, etc.

6. When needed, open the DNG files in Photoshop, burn & dodge.

7. Save As Jpeg for LUG Gallery, and a Tiff if lots of burning and/or
dodging was required.

8. Back up the DNG?s and derivatives to two external hard drives.

For scanned old negatives or slides:

When I import B&W or Kodachrome scans from the Polaroid SprintScan, they
are Tiffs, and I still go through Bridge and PS, for naming, metadata and
adjustments, but also end up using the clone tool and healing brush for
dust spots.  These scans are saved as Tiffs, and put into 26 categories
that reflect the subject matter (A. for Architecture, C. for Candid
pictures, H. for Historic scans, I. for Infrared, etc., and although most
do, not EVERY category has a matching letter.)  The names for scans follow
YYYYMMDD_MR_Category_roll &/or original frame no.extension.  These are
backed up along with my digital camera images.

I don?t know how to use PS layers, and haven?t needed to buy any other
programs to get what I want - just  DNG Converter, Bridge and PS.

--
Alan

(Retired
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978