Subject: [Leica] Drive question.
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 09:10:23 -0800
References: <0C96E407-CCF5-46AB-89C0-743F4E021DFE@gmail.com> <7de7ccd1ff154eaaa3a53a0bd82de9df@WhizzEXM01.whizz.org> <CAH1UNJ0KW6-O3urqkY+KiEX9dyF5LDLFWt+M2d-w0=CP9chs3Q@mail.gmail.com> <74962817-28DD-4B3D-AD22-3A73CCDB77AB@aotera.org> <007101d23e86$b6262a60$22727f20$@verizon.net> <CAH1UNJ0MXhnF4g-6GN+4Y02FDBHFNpgZFQoPcSchjf4TCWVjaA@mail.gmail.com> <008601d23e89$ba287160$2e795420$@verizon.net> <CAH1UNJ31=hsbMOv1gXb3fosdxMeuLxBWq7ML7wSwTVdYP46ozA@mail.gmail.com> <008701d23e8b$76acfb70$6406f250$@verizon.net> <CY1PR1001MB1097E3422C0E35D428DA8C63B8BF0@CY1PR1001MB1097.namprd10.prod.outlook.com>

Yes, that is a problem.  If LR could change to use a networked catalog, that
would require re-thought.   But even then, a NAS does not really have
advantages over a simple HDD, in my scenario.

I do like ( and always have liked) the concept that there should be only 1
catalog in a database and only 1 database.  Users interact with that
database to their own projects.
In LR, the idea would be to use 1 catalog and image file ( the second part
apparently is already allowed for in LR...) no matter if you are on the
Laptop, Desktop, or whatever.
You work where and with what you have available, always insuring that your
edits are available to all the other computers.

Don't even think about The Cloud.... that has its own set of disadvantages
including storage size, cost, access speed, etc.

Notice that I do not mention users.... I. alike to most amateur
photographers, are  a 1 man operation.  There is only 1 user.  Therefore the
concept that 2 are working on the same image at the same time is not
relevant.  Therefore a single networked catalog works just fine.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

For those using Lightroom, an NAS will not work if you want to use it on
multiple computers.   Lightroom will not run the catalog from a network
drive.  I wanted to set a friend up for a backup and so she could use her
desktop and laptop to access lightroom.  Nada.  I did work on a sort of work
around, but she is not very computer savvy, so it is a bust for her.

Aram

Got it... thanks

We use 2 standalone machines, for 2 people.  Our data is not shared, nor is
any data nor program of consequence, common to both of us.
Sounds like we are not good candidates for this type of storage.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Usability of shared and common data by every
computer/laptop/tablet/smartphone in the house through wired as well as WiFi
connections, while retaining the confidentiality of data in each personal
machine. After all it is NETWORK Attached Storage Cheers Jayanand

Replies: Reply from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] Drive question.)
Message from john at mcmaster.fr (John McMaster) ([Leica] Drive question.)
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Drive question.)
Message from spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] Drive question.)