Subject: [Leica] [OM] IMG: Around the Home Place
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 02:38:25 -0500

Cables on poles are still very common in the USA. My father is retired
from GTE, which was the phone company here in Fort Wayne (It is now part
of Verizon). He was manager of construction for GTE for all of northeast
Indiana. He told me that poles here often carry electric, telephone, and
cable TV all on the same pole. The utilities have agreements to share
poles.

In the older parts of Fort Wayne, everything is still on poles. In newer
areas, everything is buried. They?re gradually moving the old stuff to
underground because the poles need to be replaced periodically and they
are getting expensive. In addition to poles simply wearing out from age, a
HUGE number are replaced before the end of their normal service life
because idiots get drunk and drive cars into them, breaking them.

Each pole is a single pine tree! In the past, the poles were cheap, so the
utilities didn?t mind using them. It was easier than burying cable. That?s
changing now.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook

On 11/11/16, 1:28 AM, "LUG on behalf of Nathan Wajsman"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of