Subject: [Leica] Arctic trip
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 21:22:04 +0530

Ted,
I have been to the Arctic Circle, but to Svalbard/Spitsbergen, in Norway,
where the landscape is far less bleak, maybe because there is plenty of ice
to be seen, and in the areas without ice, plenty of lichen carpeting the
ground, colouring it green. We reached 82N, which is close enough to where
Henning reached. Temperatures did not reach 50 degrees below zero, but did
reach 20-25 degrees below zero, which is bad enough. I have been to the
Antarctic as well, but because you seldom go past 67S (because it is a land
mass there, in the North it is all water), it is much warmer there, the
worst I faced was 5 degrees below zero.
Cheers
Jayanand