Subject: [Leica] "I'm gong out to shoot some street."
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 11:44:22 -0700

Mark my  long long time old buddy! :-)

You are beginning to sound like a mad old man! :-)
Now don't turn on the angry words! :-) Your mad enough by the sound of it?
:-(
Quite simply because, "I agree with you whole heartedly!" :-)
The Photo magazine stories of the day about "STREET PHOTOGRAPHY" and the
"Street photographers of the past and present of that time?:-) And still do!
Created a false image in their description about street photographers &
photography! I didn't have a clue what it meant?
But the description "Street Photography?" Me, in my "KISS" life? I figured
it meant? "READY?"
When those words became the "photog description" of the day for the many
documentary/fine art photogs whomever? Cartier Bresson etc?
I thought it meant photos of "NEAT LOOKING SREETS OF EUROPE?" Or other
street locations about the planet?   SO? Me? Not to bright? :-)
I was on assignment in Los Angeles, later Seattle. So "street photography"
came to mind and I began shooting what I thought to be???
The "interesting streets of both cities" during down time from the paying
assignments I was there for.
Truly, after a bit of this "street photography" nonsense. I stopped, as I
thought it an utter waste of film & money, plus souping time! It truly was
only because "I was such a dumb-ass!" Not realizing that it was merely a New
York photo magazine writer's words!
It's still a stupid description! No I don't have an answer for it? WHY?
Well, I'm a photographer who has photographed the world from "BIRTH to
DEATH!"  And almost everything/anything in between! And have done so since
17 September 1951, my first ever published news photograph front page,
OTTAWA CITIZEN newspaper in Canada's capital.
So if "street photographer" really has a true meaning? "WHAT THE HECK AM I?"

Where would I fit in as I've taken thousands upon thousands of thousands of
exposures of human beings on every ground surface/location about the planet
you could imagine?
There that feels better! :-) See Mark, I agree with you old buddy! :-) :-)
Dr. Ted Grant CM. ORDER of CANADA.