Subject: [Leica] IMG: It's Sure Not El Raval !
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 21:26:57 -0700

Hi Jim,
I agree with you absolutely!
With my years of shooting in Europe and North America I can assure you
without question?
If Lluis were shooting his "close & somewhat intimate moments he would be
"PUNCHED OUT, ASS KICKED and camera smashed! PERIOD!
The humans of North America are suspicious of anyone pointing a camera in
their direction!
"It's "HEY WHY ARE YOU TAKING MY PICTURE? WHO DO YOU WORK FOR? GIVE ME THAT
FILM! Or today?
"HEY WHY THE HELL ARE YOU TAKING MY PICTURE? SHOW ME THE PHOTO AND YOU
BETTER DELETE IT OR I'M GOING TO SMASH YOUR CAMERA AND PUNCH YOU OUT!"
And they are not kidding! :-( And in a flash, face to face, they are ready
to beat the crap out of you!
Anyone thinking that in North America they could /can walk around as Lluis
does and many of us in Barcelona as visitors have done, just clicking the
folks?
No question, in North America, you would be challenged and possibly punched
out or have your camera grabbed and smashed on the concrete!
Seen it happen and have been challenged myself! Only to be saved because I
was shooting a "nice topic assignment!" Accompanied by a very good looking
female reporter who intervened! That's always the best part!  :-)
Back the clock-up in the same cities 50-60 years ago and you could
photograph the world all around you and never be questioned nor challenged?
Folks were just easy going nice people.
TODAY? :-( Just shake your head in utter disgust at the majority of them!
cheers,
Dr. Ted Grant!  C.M.  O.C.