Subject: [Leica] Birds
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 10:21:46 +0530

Jim N, Ric,Ted, Luis, George

Thanks for looking.

As far as getting birds in flight goes, I must give a lot of the credit to
the AF tracking and response speed of the Nikon D500. It is, IMHO, a two
trick pony, built to capture low light images and action (whether Olympics
or Wildlife!), but it is excels at those jobs. IMHO, the sensor detail, and
the resulting quality of the files, are nowhere as good as my Nikon D800E,
but they are more than enough for any use that I am likely to put the files
to. The new iterations of long lenses that Nikon are bringing out with
exotic glass inside, are very much lighter and smaller than their
predecessors, and mate more than adequately with teleconverters (at least
the 1.4x variety), so you can really hand hold them, which makes following
erratic movement much easier. With its APS-C sensor, a D500 with a 300mm f4
with 1.4x TC translates to a lightweight 630mm f5.6. Another advantage that
Nikon have built into the D500 and D5 is the ability to program many of the
buttons on the body to function as you wish, including different AF modes.
I have 4 buttons, all within reach of my index finger and thumb, on my D500
body programmed to use 4 different AF modes (Single, Group, Auto and D25),
to use as required at the press of the appropriate button, depending on the
subject and the background. No need to dive into the menu again and again.
Greatly simplifies tracking birds, for certain!

Cheers
Jayanand