Subject: [Leica] Leica Wetzlar
From: eddy at altphoto.be (Eddy Willems)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 18:26:08 +0200

this week I was in Wetzlar.
I was able to visit Ziess and in the afternoon I went to Leica.
Leica has build two brand new buildings.
One is a smaal building, that is the Leica Cafe.
In the other buildings is restaurant (very cheap) a shop (in the shop is
also a studio); an exhibition room (exposition of Elliott Erwitt);
there is a corridor with a history of the Leica camera's and all the
product Leitz has made in the photographic field are on display.
In this corridor are large windows where you can see parts of the
production of camera's and lenses.
Interesting one of these windows was blocked and there was sign that
there they where working for the future.
People of Leica told me it was something for the next Photokina.
The factory that start at this windows has the form of the ground plate
of a Leica M camera.
Strangers are not allowed in this part

Outside Leica has just started two new buildings, one will be the Leica
Hotel and the other a building for the history of Leica.

Everything is cool high tech design and it is practically impossible to
speak withe people of the production.

The only persons who are open and will talk to you are the people in the
shop.
But they want to sell.
Everything that is in production is in the shop.

Outside there is a small prefab  building with bargain products; I have
seen M9 monochromes for 5000 ? a series of 75 mm 2,5 brand lenses new
for 750 ?.

I have heard next year the new buildings will be ready.
So if you plan to visit Wetzlar wait until the new building are ready.
Now it is a little bit a disapointment for us Leica people.
I haven't seen anything new that afternoon.
best regards