Subject: [Leica] The long awaited R lens to SL body adapter.....
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 10:17:58 -0700

If our assumptions are correct:....I will state the obvious.....

Without the ability to read the selected aperture, the camera can only meter
at working aperture....  which means that the user needs to open the lens up
to focus, shut the lens down ( this is all manual manipulation of the
aperture setting), then take the image......    not exactly smooth
operation......  or use the lens at full aperture.... which is a more
specialized solution....

In the 60's, when I started to take pictures with my Miranda SLR, this
technology was already replaced by lenses that at least had the ability to
have a preset aperture.... you spun a ring around to reach correct
aperture,,,, without thinking at least...  I think that the Exakta camera
offered this in the 50's, and the Pentacon ( first SLR) had this feature in
the 40's (?)

Novoflex either does or will offer a similar functionality that may not read
the lens FL ( which is only useful for some lens corrections ( LR will do
this automatically as well IF you can remember what lens you used..) and for
putting the data into the EXIF fields... for what has been their price of
around $200   Or buy a Chinese knockoff with the same capability for about
$20......

SO the real choice is.... spend $750 on the Leica adapter or $20 on the
Chinese adapter..... Each has about the same functionality.....

They must be kidding......we MUST be not understanding the complete
picture.....  A few weeks will put some of these into users hands, and we
can find out what the thing really does.... or does not do.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

There is no aperture control, all it can do is read ROM data of focal length
- seems a lot of money (even by Leica standards) for what it is!

john