Subject: [Leica] Sony A7r II
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 18:04:12 -0700

?The Sony a7rii is my main camera now.  On major outings I do carry an
extra battery or two.  Here is the rather long summary of my feelings at
the moment:

The optics include some first rate and some just so-so.  The Zeiss MTF
curves are roughly accurate from what I can tell.

The Leica M glass will only work well if the lenses are longer than 50mm.
 (I have not tested the new 50 f/2 ASPH, which appears to be a design
specifically with digital in mind.)

Kolarivision makes a thin sensor glass for M optics.  I'd guess it's not
quite as good as the real Leica cover glass.  It's the (optical) thickness
that is the main issue.  The Sony OEM cover glass is thick; the Leica M is
thin.  The original Leica M lenses were obviously made for no cover glass,
and *any* cover glass will reduce their performance.  Thinner is better for
the old glass, but we all know the price Leica paid for going with the thin
glass.

The lenses made for the Sony now incorporate the optical characteristics of
the cover glass in their overall design.  Thus, if you go to a thinner
cover glass to use Leica M glass, you'll lose the quality of the Zeiss
glass -- at least on the wide end.

The astrophotography (extended red sensitivity equal to old Technical Pan
film) cover glass I had put on my Sony a7r (older model for testing) wiped
out my plans to use the outstanding Zeiss Loxia 21mm with the outfit.
Contrary to my understanding at the time of purchase, it's a thin cover
glass.  So, while it wiped out the Zeiss Loxia 21mm, the Leica M wides that
are un-usable on the OEM Sony were excellent at f/8 with the thin astro
cover glass, but still not quite up to what they should be wider than f/8.
The Leica WATE (a retro-focus, zoom design), which worked well with the OEM
Sony (thick glass)  worked even better with the thin astro glass.?  (I
assume the WATE was designed for film, i.e, no cover glass.)  Still, I
think the WATE limited the quality of my night shots, and I'm seriously
thinking of giving Kolarivision's thicker astro glass a try to see if the
Loxia f/2.8 performance I see with the OEM glass can be duplicated with the
astro glass.  (I like the astro glass spectral sensitivity better than the
OEM for B&W, which is my main medium.)

The bottom line is that if you make a switch to Sony, much of the best M
glass will not work well, which is a real shame.  The flip side is that if
Zeiss continues to put out glass as good as the Loxia 21mm f/2.8 (manual
focus), or their new (larger) AF models, the only advantages the M glass
have are compactness (and the Loxia 21m is not too bad) and still an edge
on quality of construction (but for a large price differential).

I vastly prefer the "through the lens" viewing for what I do.  On the other
hand for the night shot now on my web page -- http://www.paulroark.com/ --
I used the Zeiss 18mm auxiliary 18mm finder because the scene was too dark
to see with the Sony system.  (The exposures were 30 sec. wide open).

The Zeiss electronic links to the camera are a definite plus -- a number of
advantages to the totally un-linked M glass used via the Voigtlander VM-E
adapter (needed for setting the infinity stop accurately, then marking it,
taping it or otherwise making sure it is not accidentally changed).

The Sony AF has gotten very good with the a7rii.  I don't like manual
focusing with the AF lenses, however, as the "focus by wire" doesn't give
 an immediate response, nor does it have an accurate infinity stop.  You do
see, however, a focus scale that allows more accurate multi-point, hand
held focusing than a MF lens.  The infinity, however, is almost always at
or just before the "left side" of the infinity symbol.

Nothing is perfect, but for my landscape work the Sony is now, I believe,
the leader.  That said, if I were a good, traditional street shooter and
that was my subject matter, I'd stay with the traditional Leica M
rangefinder.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul