Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hogueras de San Juan 2016
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 23:29:48 +0200

June 24th is one of the major holidays of the year in Alicante. For some
reason, midsummer is a big deal here, as it is in Catalunya and in
Scandinavia (but not in the many countries in-between). In Alicante, it is a
week-long celebration, starting on June 19th and ending at midnight on the
24th. During those five days, elaborate statues are erected all over the
city, including in residential neighbourhood like the one where I live, only
to be burned on the 24th. Many streets are closed to traffic to make room
for huge party tents known as barracks, where people eat and drink from noon
until the wee hours of the morning. Needless to say, this is not one of the
most productive weeks of the year in our city.

This year, I did not go out in the evenings during the hogueras (the word
refers both to the celebration and to the statues). Instead, I visited
several of the best spots during the day and documented the decorations and
the ancilalry activities:

http://www.greatpix.eu/Hogueras-2016/

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman