Subject: [Leica] [PhotoForum] Re: Fwd: Creative license. To steal.
From: lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 13:05:00 -0400

Yours is a good point, Herschel. It is also good to keep in mind that the
conceptual basis of appropriation of photographic images, not that I
approve, is that the original photographer can be viewed as "stealing"
images from those he finds in front of his camera. It's not an illogical
inference that stealing what already is, in fact, stolen isn't actually a
theft in the ordinary sense of the word. If people in front of a camera
don't object to having their image taken, how can a photographer place a
nonexistent restraint on what people can & can't do with his image?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Herschel Mair <herschphoto at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Making too much of this. We all stand on the shoulders of our
> predecessors. We steal ideas all the time. It's called inspiration... What
> street photographer can say Cartier Bresson was no influence... Or how
> unfortunate the still life shooter that never saw Irving Penn's work... The
> travesty is giant corporations with fat legal teams that can buy up and own
> the work of great minds. That you can lose the rights to your own creations
> or be restricted from seeing what others are doing.

-Lew Schwartz

Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Fwd: Creative license. To steal.)