Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on photographing art
From: amr3 at uwmalumni.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 23:55:56 -0500

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016  Adam Bridge <abridge683 at fastmail.com>wrote:

>I?ve been asked by a local artist to help her photograph and make prints
of her paintings.

>I was wondering if any of you who might have done this before can give
some suggestions about best focal-length lens to use for this? I was
thinking that, >longer is better? I?ll be shooting work that?s lit with
camera and art on tripod and easel, using remote shutter release etc.

>Any thoughts on technique would be greatly appreciated.

>Adam Bridge
=========================================================================================================================
I used to use an 85mm on full-frame when possible, ideally in a dark studio
with polarizers on two lamps (rotated 180 degrees apart) and over the lens,
plus a non-polarized side light skimming the work for a bit of paint
texture.  The polarizers minimize glare, but too much increases contrast,
so you have to play around with the amount of polarization to match the
original.  I'd shoot one frame with a Macbeth chart in front of the
painting to help with color matching.

If possible, use prime lenses with low distortion so the painting has
straight edges.
--
Alan

(Retired)