Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Sheik Mohammed Reza Zamani
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 21:09:15 -0400

In the Arab world, it is common for high-ranking religious leaders to be
called Sheik. The word is usually a title for a tribal chief, and before
the 20th Century is was the title of the rulers of small city-states like
Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, and Dubai (they?ve since upgraded themselves to ?Emir,?
a title usually held by rulers of larger states like Jabal Shammar and
Najd (both now part of Saudi Arabia).

I?ve never heard of Iranians using the title of Sheik for anyone, so I
learned something new today.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook

On 5/12/16, 8:20 PM, "LUG on behalf of Tina Manley"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of